We are pleased to announce that nominations are open for faculty and staff participation in the sixth cohort of the Rutgers Leadership Academy (RLA). RLA is a one-year academic leadership certificate program designed for mid-career faculty and staff with an interest in learning more about the core concepts, competencies, and tools associated with leadership in higher education. The program seeks to build a cohort of individuals who are committed to building and sustaining an inclusive work/learning environment. Since the program’s inception in 2015, nearly 200 Rutgers faculty and staff have participated in the program.
By participating in RLA, selected Fellows have an opportunity to develop in the following areas:
- Build one’s knowledge of the contemporary challenges facing academic and administrative leaders across higher education.
- Increase understanding of central perspectives, concepts, and strategies for effective leadership in higher education.
- Enhance personal and professional leadership competencies.
- Foster engagement with university strategy.
- Strengthen one’s network of colleagues from across Rutgers who demonstrate a shared interest in academic leadership development.
- Design an individual or collaborative project proposal that aligns with the Rutgers value propositions and advances one’s unit, department, or school.
Offered by the Rutgers Center for Organizational Leadership, and supported by the Office of University Strategy and Office of the Executive Vice President for Academic Affairs, the program consists of approximately 15 sessions (3-4 in-person and 11-12 virtual) on Wednesday evenings throughout the academic year from 4:00 to 6:00 pm. Pending COVID-19 restrictions, all in-person sessions will be held in New Brunswick. A list of topics to be addressed in the program can be found here.
Nominations for participation in the RLA need to be submitted by vice presidents, deans, directors, chairs, or other senior leaders who see the value in creating an expanded cadre of skilled leaders within their unit and the university. Nominators will agree to serve a facilitating and mentoring role throughout the program and will help to identify projects through which RLA Fellows can exercise a leadership role. Self-nominations are not permitted.
To nominate a candidate for the program, click here to access the nomination form. Nominations for the next cohort of the program will be accepted from February 28 through March 25. The nominee must submit their application and supporting materials by April 2. Decisions will be announced in May 2022.
Questions about the program should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.