Rutgers Center for Organizational Leadership offers the administration, interpretation, and use of assessment tool results for individual leaders and groups and customized facilitation based on the needs and goals of the unit or department. These assessments may be used in conjunction with other OL programs (i.e., Excellence in Higher Education, Strategic Planning) or offered as a stand-alone two-hour session using:
Clifton StrengthsFinder – Based on a 40-year study of human strengths, Gallup created a language of the 34 most common talents and developed the Clifton Strengths Finder assessment to help individuals discover and describe these talents.
Leadership Competencies Scorecard – The Leadership Competencies Scorecard, developed by Dr. Brent Ruben, provides a competency-based framework that identifies and integrates a diverse array of characteristics described in scholarly and professional writings as being important for effective leadership.
Leadership and Communication Style Inventories – The Leadership Style Inventory and Communication Style Inventory was designed to assist in the reflective learning process and to help people explore and better understand their own approach to leadership by distinguishing two leadership and communication style preferences.
For more information regarding these assessment tools or to discuss how your unit or department may benefit from the inventories, contact Ralph Gigliotti, Assistant Director for Leadership Programs.
Leadership Competencies Development
Individual and organizational consultation around a competency-based framework advances leadership excellence.
- The Leadership Competencies Scorecard, developed by Dr. Brent Ruben, provides a competency-based framework that identifies and integrates a diverse array of characteristics described in scholarly and professional writings as being important for effective leadership. OL offers the administration, interpretation, and use of Leadership Competencies Scorecard results for individual leaders and groups, and customized facilitation based on the needs and goals of the unit or department. Additionally, OL offers one-on-one consultation for Rutgers University leaders who are interested in enhancing skills in certain competency areas.
Assessment programs and services engage faculty and staff in the evaluation of the work of their organization and in the identification of strengths and priorities for improvement.
- Excellence in Higher Education Organizational Assessment Program – Facilitated, comprehensive organizational self-assessment sessions using the nationally recognized Excellence in Higher Education (EHE) model, developed by Dr. Brent Ruben, which adapts the Malcolm Baldrige Quality Award program to the language and culture of higher education. Organizations that complete an EHE assessment develop a useful inventory of achievements and areas for improvement, clear priorities for enhancement, and action plans for implementing those improvements. Click here for a list of Rutgers units and other colleges and universities that have used this model.
Click here to order book.
Strategic planning is vital for clarifying an organization’s mission, vision, and goals, and for establishing measurable goals and action plans. Planning programs and services focus on organizational review and the facilitation of interdisciplinary and interdepartmental collaboration
- Strategic Planning Services – A modular approach to strategic planning that allows an organization to follow a step-by-step process tailored to its particular planning needs. OL provides professional assistance, facilitation, workshops, and materials. Click here for a list of Rutgers units and other colleges and universities that have used this model. Click here to order book.
- Project Planning and Implementation – Strategies and assistance in translating academic and administrative unit missions, future aspirations, and priorities into project plans
Organizational Communication Design
Rutgers Center for Organizational Leadership supports units and individual leaders with the design of strategic communication plans and processes. Academic and administrative units and leaders can approach communication design through an OL framework that includes a systematic process of analyzing the situation, defining core audience(s), clarifying goal(s), selecting and implementing plan(s) of action, and debriefing. This process can be facilitated through one-on-one or small group consultation meetings or large group interventions.
Change Planning and Implementation
Communication is critical when facilitating change within an organization. This customized, step-by-step approach to the articulation and implementation of communication strategies is intended to support leadership organizational change efforts.
Development of a comprehensive array of measures of effectiveness reflective of the organization’s mission, aspirations, priority projects, or goals
- The Mission Alignment and Assessment Planning system (MAAP) was developed to clarify the contributions of various programs and units to the fulfillment of the Rutgers-New Brunswick undergraduate educational experience mission/goals, and to facilitate and encourage assessment and alignment of outcomes and progress toward those goals.
Click here to see MAAP: An Integrative Strategy for Mission Alignment, Assessment, and Planning in Complex University Communities in the OL For the Record.
Workplace Culture and Climate
Identifying quantitative and qualitative models and methods for evaluating programs and services, stakeholder expectations, and operational effectiveness and efficiency by identifying and designing outcome measures and key performance indicators, and assisting with the establishment of systems, including dashboards, to track effectiveness over time; working with programs and departments to assess the current workplace climate and design strategies to enhance the factors that contribute to employee engagement and workplace satisfaction. Sample survey questions for the Staff Climate Inventory Sample Survey and Faculty Climate Inventory Sample Survey. See OL’s Organizational Development series available online from the National Association of College and University Business Administrators (NACUBO) for complete climate assessment surveys.
Contact us for information on customized programs related to:
- Innovation Planning and Implementation – Guidance in collaborative strategies for leaders undertaking change initiatives within their units
- Process Effectiveness – Process analysis and improvement planning
- Stakeholder Analysis – Identifying critical groups and their needs and expectations
- Environmental Scanning – Understanding current facilitators and challenges to change
- Benchmarking Leading Practices – Evaluating the organization in relation to others noted as models